Job Title: Regional Director, Asset Management
Employer: Boyd Watterson Asset Management
Location: Denver, CO
Boyd Watterson is a fast-growing company that focuses on sustaining our collegial culture as it expands. Honesty and integrity are fundamental to our character and relationships. Our managers are dedicated to being available and attentively listening to employees.
The Regional Director, Asset Management will lead a team of asset managers in their respective region and is responsible for the administration, leasing and operational oversight of GSA and state and local government real estate properties within their regional portfolio in order to maximize the Fund’s return objectives while minimizing risks.
Boyd Watterson Asset Management, LLC is an independent investment advisor specializing in fixed income, real estate, and equities. We deliver investment solutions tailored to meet the needs of Taft-Hartley funds, foundations and endowments, religious organizations, public entities, corporations, insurance companies, and advisory channel clients.
Our fixed income investment strategies range from short-term to liability-driven investing and high-quality to high yield. Our real estate strategies are derived from our specialized capabilities in acquiring and managing real estate leased to the US General Services Administration (GSA), which houses key federal agencies nationwide. Our equity capabilities are focused on domestic and dollar-denominated international large-capitalization, income-oriented strategies. We offer separately managed accounts, mutual funds, sub-advisory services, and bespoke solutions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Oversee assigned team of Asset Managers and Analysts.
- Assist PMs and Heads of Asset Management in recruiting talent consistent with the Real Estate Line of Business Annual Strategic Plan.
- Provide leadership and oversight of asset management activity within assigned region.
- Ensure all assigned team members have the required training/knowledge/skills for their position.
- Keep communication open and direct, upstreaming appropriate information to Heads of Asset Management.
2. Serve as Asset Manager for a limited number of high value-add assets in the region.
- Execute Portfolio Management’s leasing policy consistent with the portfolio’s investment strategy.
- Participate in the negotiation and completion of lease renewals, where appropriate, with other team members. Understand and communicate impact to value.
- Work with leasing brokers to attract, qualify and maintain tenants and achieve favorable lease terms.
- Be knowledgeable of competing buildings and current market terms.
- Review and approve leases within the Region based on internal approval thresholds.
- Ensure assigned team members have been through the training program regarding GSA leasing, thoroughly understand, and can demonstrate.
4. Relationship Management
- Oversee all property management functions in the Region performed by third party vendor regarding management of physical properties including maintenance, inspections, and operations.
- Execute the Acquisition and Portfolio Management policies with regard to appropriate property managers and leasing agents for each asset.
- Conduct periodic site visits and make strategic recommendations to the Head of Asset Management and Portfolio Management based on findings.
- Follow-up on operational issues or concerns in order to keep the properties running efficiently.
- Responsible for identifying and building relationships with best-in-class property managers and leasing brokers in the local markets.
- Report observed valuation trends in the government space on an on-going basis.
- Continue to achieve high tenant satisfaction by maintaining strong ties to the GSA and government agencies in the region.
5. Operations & Financial Reporting
- Review and approve annual budgets driven by historical asset performance and future needs of the property.
- Review monthly financial packages and analyze/ address significant variances to budget.
- Prepare quarterly asset management reports and asset plans that assess operating expenses, significant NOI variances and major property issues to be reviewed by the Head of Asset Management and Chief Investment Officer.
- Initiate actions to mitigate identified risks.
- Conduct an underwriting review of expenses prior to the acquisition of a property.
- Oversee workflow inputs, assumptions, and investments parameters for review by the Head of Asset Management and Chief Investment Officer.
- Be able to articulate changes in value to the Portfolio Management team.
- Ensure assigned team members have been through the training program regarding valuations, thoroughly understand, and can demonstrate.
- Maintain list of hold/sell candidates within the Region and provide recommendations to the Head of Asset Management and Chief Investment Officer.
- Follow disposition policy as it is developed.
8. Attend industry conferences and events to network and increase brand awareness to potential investors as well as in the GSA and state and local marketplace within the Region.
Education, Skills, Personal Characteristics and Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting or Real Estate from a respected university.
- 10+ years of experience in real estate and asset management or related fields.
- Must have strong Microsoft Excel skills and a proficiency with ARGUS.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner.
- Possess strong working knowledge of real estate, including but not limited to interpreting quarterly appraisal reports, leases, and financing.
- A successful candidate must be a self-starter willing to independently balance many tasks.
Boyd Watterson offers a competitive compensation package. Our benefits include Medical, Dental & Vision Plans, Life Insurance, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, 401(k) plus match, Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays.