Job Title: Financial Analyst, Asset Management
Employer: Boyd Watterson Asset Management
Location: Chicago, IL
Boyd Watterson is a fast-growing company that focuses on sustaining our collegial culture as it expands. Honesty and integrity are fundamental to our character and relationships. Our managers are dedicated to being available and attentively listening to employees.
The Financial Analyst of Asset Management assists the Senior Vice President and Vice Presidents of Asset Management with transitioning asset acquisitions of properties for GSA and state leased buildings to maximize investor returns and minimize risks for investors while adhering to BWAM Investment Policy Committee guidelines.
Boyd Watterson Asset Management, LLC is an independent investment advisor specializing in fixed income, real estate, and equities. We deliver investment solutions tailored to meet the needs of Taft-Hartley funds, foundations and endowments, religious organizations, public entities, corporations, insurance companies, and advisory channel clients.
Our fixed income investment strategies range from short-term to liability-driven investing and high-quality to high yield. Our real estate strategies are derived from our specialized capabilities in acquiring and managing real estate leased to the US General Services Administration (GSA), which houses key federal agencies nationwide, as well as state and local government agencies. Our equity capabilities are focused on domestic and dollar-denominated international large-capitalization, income-oriented strategies. We offer separately managed accounts, mutual funds, sub-advisory services, and bespoke solutions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Support asset management team in pursuit of managing a portfolio of real estate holdings in order to achieve return objectives and minimize risks.
1. Maximize potential for lease renewal
- Assist in lease review
- Provide market research feedback for leasing analysis and market rents for acquisitions and research team (RCA, REIS, Co-Star)
2. Maintain physical integrity of the property
- Shadow asset managers on site visits
- Analyze and report on projected capital project spend and assess return impact
- Strategize on ways to better improve and maintain the physical integrity of properties at a portfolio level
3. Mitigate economic risk
- Review monthly property reports and monitor portfolio NOI variances to budget
- Review and provide comments on budgets driven by acquisition underwriting and historical asset performance
- Provide sensitivity analysis for property values based on tenant improvement projects
- Assist in preparing quarterly asset reports
- Coordinate property tax appeals with a third-party tax appeal consultant
- Support financing activities by serving as liaison between lenders and the assets
4. Property valuations
- Facilitate, review and comment on third-party appraisals and perform quarterly internal valuations
5. Conduct market research and tenant-specific research and report to the Investment Committee
- Perform special ad hoc projects and analyses
6. Identify disposition candidates
- Prepare property level analyses for hold/sell decisions
Education, Skills, Personal Characteristics and Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting or Real Estate from a respected university
- Minimum of 2-3 years of experience in real estate and preferably asset management
- Must have Microsoft Office skills as well as ARGUS experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in concise and timely manner
- Possess strong working knowledge of mechanics of real estate, including but not limited to interpreting accounting reports and returns
- A successful candidate must be a self-starter willing to independently balance many tasks at a given time
- Travel within the United States required
Boyd Watterson offers a competitive compensation package. Our benefits include Medical, Dental & Vision Plans, Life Insurance, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, 401(k) plus match, Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays.