Job Title: Vice President, Controller, Real Estate Funds
Employer: Boyd Watterson Asset Management
Location: Chicago, IL or Cleveland OH
Boyd Watterson is a dynamic company built around integrity and collaboration. We value the insights and perspectives of a broad, diverse group of individuals and believe that our collective success is dependent on an inclusive environment.
The Controllers’ primary responsibility is to ensure that the related financial reports are completed accurately and timely. The Controller manages the external vendors that provide accounting and fund administration. Assists the Real Estate team with financial analysis, forecasting and budgeting. Manages and directs audits, tax return preparation and filing, and other regulatory and investor reports.
Boyd Watterson Asset Management, LLC is an independent investment advisor specializing in real estate, fixed income, and equity products. We provide investment solutions to a broad range of institutional clients and to high net worth clients, mainly through intermediaries.
Our investment strategies focus on stable income with a moderate risk profile. The real estate products are mainly delivered through private funds that primarily own and operate commercial buildings under lease to agencies of the US government, and state and local governments. Our fixed income and equity products are delivered through separately managed accounts, mutual funds, and intermediaries. We offer a broad range of products in the fixed income space and focus on large capital income-oriented strategies in the equity space.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Manage both internal and external resources to ensure that all accounting functions and reports are completed accurately and timely.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are followed. Ensure that monthly property financial statements are prepared accurately and timely and that the consolidated financial statements properly reflect the combined results of the properties.
- Review each Fund’s consolidated financial statements and supporting workpapers.
- Coordinate year-end audit and tax work with public accountants.
2. Provide meaningful analysis and structure to enhance investor return.
- Deep understanding of the capabilities of the technology systems utilized in the accounting and reporting processes. Streamline workflow and processes by optimizing the use of the systems.
- Review variance analysis, summarize significant findings / trends, and provide reporting to management.
- Review and challenge budgets and forecasts to ensure that budgeted / forecasted results produce expected returns for Investors.
- With Asset Management, provide reporting to Portfolio Management regarding fund-level actual and projected returns. Highlight areas where differences exist and ensure that corrective actions are documented.
- Performance (returns) – Understand historical, current period and projected returns. Identify trends and provide insight to management.
- Partner with Asset Management to ensure that processes exist to optimize Capex and repair and maintenance expense.
- Partner with Asset Management to ensure that more complex transactions are managed closely and that the right reporting exists. This includes construction projects, joint ventures, etc.
3. Manage cash flows.
- Manage all bank relations and processes (other than lending relationships).
- Control the new account set up for entities.
- Review monthly bank accounts.
- Establish appropriate processes around cash receipts and disbursements.
- Prepare cash projections and provide insight as to optimization of cash flows, leverage, etc.
- Establish process to optimize distributions to investors while complying with regulatory limitations. Review the supporting work papers to ensure that process is properly followed. Recommend amounts and facilitate distribution.
- Provide direction, mentoring and training to the Fund Accountant(s) in the successful completion of the duties and responsibilities outlined in the Position Description(s).
Education, Skills, Personal Characteristics and Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- 10-year plus public and/or private accounting, real estate accounting preferred.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel, Microsoft office products, Yardi required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to multitask.
Boyd Watterson offers a competitive compensation package. Our benefits include Medical, Dental & Vision Plans, Life Insurance, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, 401(k) plus match, Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays.