Job Title: Assistant Vice President, Asset Management
Employer: Boyd Watterson Asset Management
Location: Denver, CO
Boyd Watterson is a fast-growing company that focuses on sustaining our collegial culture as it expands. Honesty and integrity are fundamental to our character and relationships. Our managers are dedicated to being available and attentively listening to employees.
Our Real Estate team is looking to hire a full-time AVP of Asset Management. This position will be located in our Denver, CO office. The Assistant Vice President of Asset Management is responsible for the administration, operation, and financial oversight of real estate properties within their portfolio in order to achieve the return objectives while minimizing risks.
Boyd Watterson Asset Management, LLC is an independent investment advisor specializing in fixed income, real estate, and equities. We deliver investment solutions tailored to meet the needs of Taft-Hartley funds, foundations and endowments, religious organizations, public entities, corporations, insurance companies, and advisory channel clients.
Our fixed income investment strategies range from short-term to liability-driven investing and high-quality to high yield. Our real estate strategies are derived from our specialized capabilities in acquiring and managing real estate leased to the US General Services Administration (GSA), which houses key federal agencies nationwide. We offer separately managed accounts, mutual funds, sub-advisory services, and bespoke solutions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maximize potential for lease renewal
- Work closely with property managers, on-site agency and the GSA to ensure respective needs are being met
- Work with leasing brokers to attract, qualify and maintain tenants and achieve favorable lease terms
- Upon renewal or new lease, ensure tenant and lease terms fit within the portfolio’s investment strategy and determine impact to value
2. Maintain physical integrity of the property
- Oversee all property management functions performed by third party vendor regarding management of physical properties including maintenance, inspections and operations
- For major capital improvements, oversee project manager and ensure that improvements are completed according to plan and within budget
- Conduct periodic site visits and make recommendations based on findings
- Follow-up on operational issues or concerns in order to keep the property running efficiently
- Work closely with property managers, brokers and tenants to develop strong relationships
3. Mitigate economic risk
- Review and approve annual budgets driven by historical asset performance and future needs of the property
- Review monthly financial packages and analyze/ address significant variances to budget
- Prepare quarterly asset management reports that assess operating expenses, significant NOI variances and major property issues to be reviewed by the Chief Investment Officer and Investment Committee
- Initiate actions to mitigate identified risks
- Conduct an underwriting review of expenses prior to the acquisition of a property
- Continue to achieve high tenant satisfaction in overseeing the activities of the property manager and maintain strong ties to the GSA and agencies
4. Oversee periodic valuations
- Facilitate, review and comment on third-party appraisals for review by the Chief Investment Officer and Investment Committee
- Read appraisal reports, Understand appraiser assumptions, Monitor accuracy of facts/data used by appraisal firms
5. Conduct market research and tenant-specific research and report to the investment committee
Education, Skills, Personal Characteristics and Work Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Finance, Accounting or Real Estate from a respected university
- 5-7 years of experience in real estate and asset management experience
- Must have Microsoft Excel skills and strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to articulate recommendations in a concise and timely manner
- Possess strong working knowledge of real estate, including but not limited to interpreting account reports, leases and financing
- A successful candidate must be a self-starter willing to independently balance many tasks
Boyd Watterson offers a competitive compensation package. Our benefits include Medical, Dental & Vision Plans, Life Insurance, Health Savings Accounts, Flexible Spending Accounts, 401(k) plus match, Paid Time Off (PTO) and Holidays.